Mold and Mildew Spots on Outdoor Fabrics
I am starting to think spring, but when I inspected my packed away cushions, I noticed there are gray and black spots on them. What is it and how can I remove them?
Black or gray spots are an indication of mold or mildew which often occurs when pads or cushions are put away for storage when they are not completely dry. Mold or mildew spots can be removed following these easy steps:
1. Prepare a solution of 1 cup of bleach* and one fourth cup of mild soap per 1 gallon of water.
2. Spray on entire area and allow to soak into the fabric for 15 minutes.
3. Clean entire surface area with a sponge, clean towel or very soft bristle brush.
4. Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residues.
5. Allow to completely air dry.
ENJOY! Your cushions should now be mold and mildew free.
*NOTE: Unbelievable as it is, bleach is perfectly OK to use on Sunbrella and other outdoor performance fabrics. It is one of the advantages of these types of fabrics. If you are unsure what type of fabric you have, try spot checking in an inconspicuous area first or bring your cushion in to us and let one of our furniture team members evaluate your fabric.
Sunbrella outdoor fabrics are made to be unfazed by nature and last for years, making it the perfect choice for your outdoor furniture.
Sunbrella outdoor cushions and umbrellas come in a wide variety of colors and patterns.
If you have a question that you would like
our furniture expert, Eli Hymer, to answer
in our next column, please send it via our
furniture online contact form with Ask Eli
in the comment box.