How to Be the Best Host / Hostess
- Create the atmosphere: music, lighting and good smells go along way.
- Ask for help
- Give yourself 25% more time than you think (4 hours = 5 hours)
- Invite VIPs: Always invite one or two friends over a little earlier before the rest of the guests arrive.
- Take the lead by hanging coats, be clear where the socializing is happening and offer refreshments
- Good Job!!! Now for the clean up! Have a friend or family member stay, play some tunes, load up the dishwasher and get to bed!
How to Be the Best Guest
- Bring a gift for your host or hostess
- Offer to help.
- Be timely.
- Wait for directions, a good hostess will take the lead, do not wander off limits, ask to use the bathroom and do not ask for a tour.
- Fill the void with good conversation that’s not all about you.
- Say thank you, offer to help with clean up (twice if you get rejected both times honor your host/hostess) and know when to leave either by the end time or when the party is winding down.