Learn from the Gasper Home & Garden Showplace holiday decorating experts with our simple step-by-step photo Christmas tree decorating tutorial.
- Ensure that your tree stands straight and all your lights work well.
- Using floral wire, secure the wired ribbon of your choice to the top portion of the trunk, a few inches down from the top of the tree.
- Secure and tuck the ribbon back into the tree every 6-8 inches with more floral wire. Aim to create elegant, billowy loops. If the ribbon is double-sided, try putting some gentle twists in it before securing it.
- Choose a dramatic piece for your tree topper. You can choose a traditional star, angel, or more unique pieces like a large nutcracker or bow. We often place our topper a few inches down from the tip-top, where we can nestle it better into the tree’s branches.
- Use floral picks to accentuate your topper and bring attention to the top of the tree. Start by placing the picks below the topper and then add them at multiple angles. Think about varying the different colors, styles, and textures of the picks for maximum interest.
- Stagger similar colored ornaments throughout the tree. Plain and less expensive ornaments, such as round ones, can be placed towards the inside of the tree to act as a filler and add dimension to your tree.
- Add more special ornaments to the outer branches of the tree. Mix large and small ornaments and hang them so they seem to be nestled slightly into the tree. Every few minutes, take a few steps back from the tree to see if there are any glaring holes and that the colors are evenly distributed.
- Place more floral picks throughout the tree’s body to fill in empty spots and tie the tree together with color and texture. Most picks will stay if stuck into the tree, but use floral wire to hold them in place as necessary.
Is your holiday decorating still feeling a little bit daunting? Visit Gasper and speak to one of our Holiday decorating experts at Gasper’s Home and Garden Showplace about having us do the decorating work for you. From a fully decorated tree, garlands to flank a staircase or fence, wreaths to adorn your entryway or windows, to lighting and décor inside or out, we can do everything to your specifications, desires, and budget. And after the holidays, you can schedule us to take down your decorations and get them ready for storage! The holidays can indeed be “the most wonderful time of the year” with Gasper’s holiday decorating services.